Looking for a comforting and healthy breakfast idea which is easy and quick to prepare? In my home country, Finland, porridge is usually one of the most typical breakfast for children, but luckily it has become a trendy alternative for adults as well. I think eating porridge never gets boring since you can amend and spice it up in so many different ways!
Porridge is considered to be a healthy breakfast due to its complex carbohydrates and high fiber content. Oatmeal contains soluble fiber which stays in your stomach longer and helps you feel full longer. Oatmeal is also rich in thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, selenium and iron and is quite low in calories.
A balanced healthy breakfast should always include long-lasting carbs, protein, some healthy fat and vitamins. Oatmeal alone does not include all of these – but you can easily make it a healthy, balanced breakfast. Now we want to share some tips how you can make your porridge more interesting, and even more nutritious.
To prepare plain porridge for 1 person: Cook one cup (250 ml) of water. When the water starts boiling, add 40-50 grams (around 100 ml) oat flakes and mix well. Let it cook on a moderate/low heat for about 5 minutes, remember to mix once in a while.
GoodBoost tips: Add more nutrients and variety into your porridge:
- With eggs: Adding eggs is an easy way to add protein and vitamins to your porridge. Simple break the egg into your porridge after you have added the oats in the boiling water, break the structure immediately by mixing with a spoon. You won’t even notice that you have an egg in your porridge!
- With berries: Any kind of berries is a great addition on top of your porridge. They taste good and are packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
- With fruit: Add small pieces of banana, apple or pear into the porridge when it is still boiling. The soft fruit gives a naturally sweet taste and you also get a lot of vitamins.
- With olive oil: Olive oil is a perfect source of essential unsaturated fats. Add a spoon of olive oil into your ready porridge. Oil is also good for your stomach!
- With coconut oil: Coconut oil makes the porridge taste delicious and you also get some important fat into your breakfast.
- With seeds: Increase the nutritional value of your porridge by adding seeds in it. Flax seeds and chia seeds are good sources of essential omega 3 fatty acids. Most of the people don’t get enough of omega 3, so we recommend to always add either flax seeds or chia into your porridge.
- With nuts or nut butter: Nuts don’t only taste good, but also include important fats and protein. Cut them small and add on top of your porridge!
- Cottage cheese or quark: Add a little bit of either of these on the side of your porridge to get more protein and calcium into your breakfast.
We at GoodBoost like to eat our porridge with a little bit of milk on the side, without it is too dry. We always add some cinnamon on top as well. If you have a sweet tooth, don’t hesitate to add some honey or agave syrup into your porridge to give more taste!
What is your favourite porridge recipe? Please share it with us!